Sunday, July 31, 2011

You Go First, Daddy

The priests who carried the ark of the covenant of the Lord stood firm on dry ground in the middle of the Jordan, while all Israel passed by until the whole nation had completed the crossing on dry ground. (Josh 3:17)

The crossing of the Jordan was an amazing miracle. It put everyone on notice, both Israelites and Canaanites, that God is sovereign and he was giving the land of Canaan to his people Israel. The ark went before them and stood in the middle while everyone crossed over. It symbolized God’s presence and his power. The people could take comfort as they crossed that they would be safe because, metaphorically, God went first to show them it was safe. It reminds me of those times as a child when our parents would also calm our fears by going first. If Daddy can do it I can do it. It also reminds me how Jesus was willing to show us the way. He endured every temptation and suffered every pain so that I can take comfort and courage from his example. I think of King David saying, “You hem me in – behind and before.” (Ps 139:5) Only God can be in two places at once. He goes before me to show me the way and comes behind me to watch my back. No one can snatch me out of his hand. (Jn 10:28). I am secure in his presence and encouraged by his example. Thank you, Lord, for showing us the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment