Sunday, September 25, 2011

Modeling Christ-Likeness

Follow my example as I follow the example of Christ. (1 Cor 11:1)

I used to think it was arrogant of Paul to tell people to follow his example, as though he were perfect! But I realize now Paul was not claiming to be perfectly Christ-like. When he says “as” he is really saying “to the same degree.” Even so, I would never say what Paul said because I know my life is far from resembling the life of Christ. There are whole new levels of obedience to God beyond my personal experience – levels I’m sure Paul had walked in. And when I think about that, I realize the problem here is not Paul’s arrogance but my disobedience. If I presume to lead others, if I presume to teach, should I not be able to say, “Follow my example as I follow the example of Christ?” Lord, forgive me for my casual disobedience. There is so much at stake here. I hinder others from seeing you when I fail to follow your example. Teach me to be a faithful disciple like Paul. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment