Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Timeless Wisdom

The Lord brought me forth as the first of his works, before his deeds of old; I was appointed from eternity, before the world began. (Pro 8:22-23)

Here wisdom personified is speaking, and we learn that wisdom has been around for all eternity. Before the creation of the world there was wisdom. What does that mean? Several things, I think. First, wisdom is one of the immutable attributes of God. It has always existed because God is wise, and he has always existed. Second, God formed the world by wisdom. Creation was wisely made, and everywhere we see his wisdom and his glory in it (though it is now marred by our sin). Third, this passage tells us that the world depends on wisdom, but wisdom does not depend on the world. Wisdom is timeless. It is not circumstantial. Right is always right. It is not popular to believe this today. Today people say “Well it depends,” and think themselves sophisticated and wise. Everything is contextual, they say.

Of course, being wise does depend on getting your facts straight. But too often when someone says “It depends,” they mean “It depends on me.” What I think; how I feel; what I want or think I need. Such thinking quickly leads us into pride, selfishness and delusion. True wisdom is based on God’s timeless truth which he has revealed in his Word. I need to listen to what God thinks, how God feels and what God wants. Only then will I be truly wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment