Sunday, February 27, 2011

Giver of Good Things

I said to the Lord, “You are my Lord; apart from you I have no good thing.” (Ps 16:2)

Every good thing we have is a gift from our Heavenly Father, the creator of all things. Why are we so often possessive of what we have and resentful of what we don’t have? We are possessive because we forget we are tenants only. What I enjoy here on earth is mine for a time, but when I die I will give it all back to the One who owns everything. I resent what I do not have because I am focused on created things instead of the Creator himself. It is easy, too, to forget that God has promised us an inheritance greater than anything we have enjoyed in this life. I am not talking about streets of gold here. They are just a backdrop for what the true blessings of eternity will be – basking in the brilliance and warmth of God’s presence forever and ever, in the blissful fellowship of all the saints. The good things God has given me now – family and friends and a home and a ministry – these are just a foretaste of the good things to come. Thank you, Lord, for your incredible generosity to your children. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment