Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Sin of the Sadducees

Jesus replied, “You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God.” (Mt 22:29)

The Sadducees tried to trip up Jesus with a tricky question about the resurrection, but Jesus would have none of it. He rebuked them because they knew neither God nor his word. The funny thing is, the specific question they asked is one that I don’t think any Bible scholars would know the answer to today if Jesus’ answer had not been recorded here in Scripture. So why was he all over them? Because he could see their hearts. The cynical, worldly Sadducees didn’t even believe in the resurrection; they just wanted to make Jesus look foolish. So Jesus goes straight to the heart of their issue: “You do not know the Scriptures or the power of God.”

So my first thought when I read that is, stupid Sadducees! You tell ‘em, Jesus. But I have to stop and ask myself, do I really know the Scriptures and the power of God? And I think the answer is, much less than I like to think. Do I live my life like someone who believes in a God who raises people from the dead? Do I experience the power of God in my life? Do I expect God to move powerfully in my life? If I had really taken the Scriptures to heart I would. I think I talk like a disciple but live like a Sadducee. Lord, help me to expect great things. Help me to have faith that you will act in a mighty way. You are the God who raises men from the dead! You rose from the dead! No question is too hard for you and no problem too great. Remind me of that when I falter. Keep me from the sin of the Sadducees.

No comments:

Post a Comment