Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Numbering Our Days

Show me, O Lord, my life’s end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting is my life. (Ps 39:4)

Why would David want God to reveal to him the date he was going to die? Because he wanted to be reminded how little time we have to serve God in this world. In the previous verses David tells of the powerful conviction he felt when he remained silent in the presence of evil. Finally he speaks when he can remain silent no longer (v3). But why do we ever put off doing what we know we should do? We delay because we are lazy or selfish or afraid. We act like we have all the time in the world, but David knew differently. “Each man’s life is but a breath.” (v5) What God has called me to do I must do now and not later. “You fool! This very night your life will be demanded from you!” (Lk 12:20) That is how God rebuked the man who hoarded his wealth in Jesus’ parable. Lord, forgive me for wasting my time when I should be “about my Father’s business.” You have given me one life to live, and I want to live it for you. Remind me how short my days are when I am tempted to procrastinate. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment