Wednesday, March 9, 2011

From Prince to Frog

Now Moses was tending the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian. (Ex 3:1a)

In the fairy tales, the princess kisses the frog and he turns into a handsome prince. In the story of Moses, it seems at first as though God has it backwards. He takes Moses, a prince of Egypt, and turns him into a shepherd. Shepherding was a lowly profession in Egypt. Gen 46:34 tells us that shepherds were despised by the Egyptians. Imagine what Moses must have thought about the turn his life had taken. He was the prince whom God had turned into a frog! Or so it seemed. But God had a different idea. He had a bigger plan for Moses than being a pampered royal prince in Egypt. After 40 years of shepherding sheep, he was ready to be a shepherd of God’s people.

How often do I misunderstand the turns my life has taken? Illnesses, failures, disappointments – they don’t seem like the stuff of a great master plan for my life. But they are! Every hardship and every failure, if I’m willing to learn from them, molds me into the kind of man God can use for his glory. Lord, I am willing to learn. Redeem my failures by teaching me to be your obedient disciple. Lead me through the hard times and train me up as a man of faith to be your witness. Thank you, Lord, for your great plan for my life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment