Sunday, March 13, 2011

Who Am I That I Should Go?

But Moses said to God, “Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?” (Ex 3:11)

We criticize Moses for being reluctant to obey, but actually he is asking an excellent question here. When God commanded Moses to go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt, the worst thing Moses could have done is charge in on his own to obey. It would have been foolhardy for Moses to rely on his position as a former prince of Egypt, or his skill as a warrior, or any other worldly ability. By asking “Who am I” he rightly recognizes that on his own he is doomed to fail. But it was not God’s intention for Moses to go alone. God’s reply to Moses is, “I will be with you.” (v12)

Now Moses should have said, “Yes, Lord.” But he continued to question God’s command. When we reply to the Lord’s command by saying, “But, but, but…” we must understand we are no longer doubting ourselves; we are doubting God. He is fully able to accomplish in us whatever work he commands us to perform. Thank you, Lord, that you choose us, inadequate vessels that we are, to do your will. Teach me not to doubt that even with all my flaws you can do great things through me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment