Sunday, April 17, 2011

Open Wide Your Mouth

I am the Lord your God, who brought you up out of Egypt. Open wide your mouth and I will fill it…you would be fed with the finest of wheat; with honey from the rock I would satisfy you. (Ps 81:10,16)

In this psalm the Lord reminds Israel that he will vanquish all their foes and fill their every need, if only they will listen and obey him. These verses evoke the days in the wilderness when God fed the people manna, the mysterious bread from heaven that “tasted like wafers made with honey.” (Ex 16:31) At no other time were they ever more dependent on him, and God sustained them with consistent, daily miracles.

Why do I often fail to be receptive to what God wants to do for me? What command could be simpler than “open wide your mouth?” Perhaps because when you open your mouth really wide you can’t see too well what’s about to be placed in it: honey wafers or bitter herbs. I miss out on God’s blessing because I do not want to give up control. I must practice a child-like faith. I must learn to trust his goodness and his mercy.

Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! (Mt 7:9-11)

No comments:

Post a Comment