Sunday, April 3, 2011

Trail of Trials

When Pharaoh let the people go, God did not lead them on the road through the Philistine country, though that was shorter. For God said, “If they face war, they might change their minds and return to Egypt.” So God led the people around by the desert road toward the Red Sea. (Ex 13:17-18)

Ever wonder how God chooses the path he leads us on? It should be obvious by this point in our lives that it’s not the easiest or shortest path. We can see that in this passage. If you are in Egypt and you want to get to Canaan, the easiest and quickest way is to follow the Mediterranean coast up through Philistine country. You certainly wouldn’t strike out across the desert toward the Red Sea. Even if you could figure out how to cross it you would find yourself in the desolate Sinai. In fact, by leading them to the shores of the Red Sea God led them, on purpose, into a trap. With the sea before them and the army of Pharaoh behind them they were in need of a miracle – which was precisely God’s plan! That day God miraculously defeated both the army and the sea. By taking them on this path, what did God accomplish?
  1. They saw God’s final, miraculous triumph over their Egyptian slave masters. 
  2. They were in a desolate region where they were utterly dependent on God for food and water. And 
  3. There was absolutely no way they could turn back because the Sea was now between them and Egypt! 
In fact, if they had taken the coast road they would have had to fight their way through Philistia, and God knew they were not ready for that.

Lord, I know you go behind me and before me. You mark out a path for me that is wiser than I can imagine. It is a path full of trials, but they are the trials you have chosen for me. There are other trials I am not ready to face, but you have chosen these trials for me so that I may learn to depend on you. You are my provision and my protection. I will trust in you. Amen.

For this God is our God for ever and ever; he will be our guide even to the end. (Ps 48:14)

No comments:

Post a Comment