Saturday, July 14, 2012

Detestable Things

Again and again I sent my servants the prophets, who said, “Do not do this detestable thing that I hate!” (Jer 44:4)

Sometimes I imagine that God delivered his commandments with a sort of clinical detachment. “Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal. Let’s see, now where was I? Oh, yes! Do not bear false witness, do not covet.” Not at all! These commandments must have been delivered in a thunderous voice. God hates these things. They are an affront to his very nature. To him they are detestable, and so they should be to me as well. I must look long into his face, meditating on his nature and character, until all sin is detestable to me as well – until my sin is detestable to me. Lord, I want to be like you – to love what you love and hate what you hate. You are good and true and righteous. I love you for who you are. Train me in truth and righteousness, to be pleasing in your sight. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment