Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Remembering God's Mercy

But the people were thirsty for water there, and they grumbled against Moses. (Ex 17:3a)

They grumbled against Moses, but their complaints were really against God. It seems incredible that after witnessing so many huge miracles they would still grumble so quickly. What they were completely missing was any understanding of the character of God. Perhaps they had a pagan concept of the capriciousness of the gods. They clearly didn’t grasp that God is true, faithful, good, merciful and omnipotent. Unfortunately, although we know better we often fall into the same trap. When terrible things happen we get angry or afraid or despairing. I said “we”. I should say “I”. I show myself to be out of touch with the character and nature of God when I feel that way. Lord, I want to know you as you really are. Forgive me for doubting your goodness and your power. Remind me when I forget. “Lord, you are good and your mercy endureth forever!”

No comments:

Post a Comment