Monday, May 17, 2010

Sins of the Fathers

And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, “The Lord, the Lord, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. Yet he does not leave the guilty unpunished; he punishes the children and their children for the sins of the fathers to the third and fourth generation. (Ex 34:6-7)

Moses has just returned to the top of Mt. Horeb to get a new set of tablets inscribed with the law, after Aaron and the people had made a golden calf to worship. The Lord came and stood there with him, and here he proclaims himself to Moses. This is God’s description of himself! What does he lead off with? Compassion, grace, patience, love, faithfulness and forgiveness! What a wonderful picture. The psalmist even sings these words back to God in Ps 86:15, “But you, O Lord, are a compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness.” But there is still judgment. Sin must be punished. God speaks of both his love and his justice.

Lord, thank you that you have so clearly declared your compassion, grace, patience and faithfulness. You have declared them by both your words and your deeds, because you cannot be untrue to your nature. Lord Jesus, thank you that you took our sins upon yourself, so that we may abide in your love. Thank you for being so patient and compassionate with me. Lord, I know that the temporal consequences of sin do not disappear when we repent, but I pray your mercy on my sons, that you would spare them from suffering for my mistakes. I want to be just the father they need. I don’t want to pass on to them my own sins, or the sins of my own father. Let the chain stop with me. He made mistakes; I made mistakes. Help me now to overcome them and correct them by the power of your Spirit. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment