Thursday, March 18, 2010

Forget About Plan B

I was ashamed to ask the king for soldiers and horsemen to protect us from enemies on the road, because we had told the king, "The gracious hand of our God is on everyone who looks to him, but his great anger is against all who forsake him." So we fasted and petitioned our God about this, and he answered our prayer. (Ezra 8:22-23)

Ezra was ashamed to ask the king for soldiers to protect them on their journey, because he had told the king the gracious hand of God was on them. So they fasted and prayed for divine protection. This is the kind of faith I see and hear about in other believers’ lives. But that kind of faith is rarely seen in my life. I have a hard time thinking of an example where I stepped out in faith without a safety net, knowing that if God did not act I would fail and suffer harm. In this most practical way I fail the “true faith” test. I suppose that too often I really don’t believe God will answer my prayer. I always want to have a Plan B. I always wonder if I have really heard God’s voice. No wonder my ministry and my life have had so little impact for the Kingdom of God. Lord, help me to grow in my faith and learn to hear the voice of my Shepherd.

No comments:

Post a Comment