Monday, March 29, 2010

It's All His

[Job] said: “Naked I came from my mother’s womb and naked I will depart. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; may the name of the Lord be praised.” (Job 1:21)

This is Job’s response to the news that all his children and all his servants and all his wealth have suddenly been destroyed. Job knew that nothing we have is truly ours. God gives it to us and God can take it away. It all belongs to him and he is within his rights to do whatever he pleases with it. Now God has taken it all away, and even though Job cannot possibly understand why he still says, “may the name of the Lord be praised.” Not only is Job’s faith great, but also the degree of his surrender to God. Lord, help me to truly understand that all I have is yours. You could take it all away tomorrow and I would have neither cause for complaint nor need to fear the future. Financial security is good, but faith in you is better. But Lord, it is harder to face the prospect that something bad might happen to my family than to me. Surely that was Job's greatest hurt. I surrender my family to you, Lord. I know they are yours, and I know you love them far more than I. Guard them. Draw them to yourself. And, whatever happens, may we one day be together with you for eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment