Sunday, May 1, 2011

The Hammer of Grace

About noon as I came near Damascus, suddenly a bright light from heaven flashed around me. (Acts 22:6)

When God decides it is time to get your attention, he will do whatever it takes to accomplish the job. Saul needed a hammer; some need only a feather. But all of us need God to take the first step. Saul seemed as unlikely a convert as one could imagine. Going from city to city persecuting the Christians, how many deaths must he have been responsible for? I wonder how many of them were praying for Saul’s salvation. God heard their prayers.

Forty years ago God got my attention, too. There were no bright lights or voices that day, but it took more than a feather to get my attention. I felt the powerful, tangible presence of God and knew in an instant that he is real and Jesus is Lord. Many people were praying for me that day, as well. Thank you, Lord, for your incredible mercy. I pray that you would have mercy on those who are precious to me who don't know you. Make your presence real to them. Touch their hearts so they know you love them and accept them by the blood of Jesus. Please do whatever it takes to get their attention, and soften their hearts to receive you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment