Sunday, June 19, 2011

Eyes of Fear

We seemed like grasshoppers in our own eyes, and we looked the same to them. (Num 13:33)

When Moses sent spies into Canaan, they came back more impressed with the size of the inhabitants than the size of the grape clusters (v23). The Nephilim were considered giants in that day, and these spies imagined themselves being crushed like insects if they had to fight them. The apostle Paul tells us to consider ourselves with sober judgment (Rom 12:3), but these men were looking at themselves and their opponents with eyes of fear. Fear makes an opponent seem larger; fear makes you forget your advantages. They forgot that God would be fighting for them. If God is for us, who can be against us? (Rom 8:31) The God who delivered them from Egypt promised them the land of Canaan. At that moment, the power of the Nephilim seemed more real to them than the power of God. They shrank back, and through their fear the promised land was lost for their generation. Lord, when danger looms and fear wells up within me, remind me that I do not stand alone. Your mighty arm is my defense. In you I place my trust. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment