Sunday, June 5, 2011

Lame Excuses

The sluggard says, “There is a lion outside!” or “I will be murdered in the streets!” (Pro 22:13)

I don’t like to think I have anything in common with the “sluggard” who is so frequently criticized in Proverbs. But unfortunately I often see myself in these verses. It’s so easy to make excuses when there is something I know I should do, but I dread it for some reason. I wonder how often my excuses sound as silly as these? But even if I can fool others I know I can’t fool God. He sees my heart and he knows when I am being lazy or timid. Lord, I can’t fool you, and most of the time I can’t fool others, either. Forgive me for making excuses when what you desire is obedience. You will provide the strength and the courage I need for any task, if only I will yield in obedience to your will. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment