Saturday, September 15, 2012

Following an Unseen God

Your path led through the sea, your way through the mighty waters, though your footprints were not seen. (Ps 77:19)

How do you follow an unseen God? Here’s a hint: when the waters part and a path opens up through the sea, God has gone before you to lead the way. Most of the time the circumstances of our lives are less dramatic but the principle is still the same. A door opens and the still, small voice of God nudges us forward. Some Christians I know are always looking for a sign from God. Sometimes they interpret seemingly inconsequential events as a sign. I don’t experience the presence of God in my life that way. God’s Word is filled with his wisdom and his commandments, and he has given us a mind to know them and apply them. No doubt my friends are sometimes reading too much into everyday events, but just as surely I believe I have often missed God’s leading. We have to leave some room for the miraculous in our lives. God’s will is not always “reasonable”. His Spirit will never contradict his Word, but his plan far exceeds our comprehension. Sometimes the next step will seem risky or strange. Lord, teach me to hear your voice. I don’t want to miss that open door which leads to the center of your will for me. Thank you, Lord, for your Word and your Spirit. Lead me on your path for my life. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment