Saturday, September 1, 2012

Serial Stupidity


Though you grind a fool in a mortar, grinding him like grain with a pestle, you will not remove the folly from him. (Pro 27:22)

In the Bible, being a fool is a moral failing. A fool is one who rejects God’s wisdom and makes evil, self-destructive choices. But, as this verse reveals, the very core of folly is the failure – or refusal – to learn from one’s mistakes. The book of Proverbs teaches us that sin has consequences. When I care so little about myself or others that I will continue to sin regardless of the consequences then I am truly a fool. My first reaction is to say, why would anyone do that? But then I realize I myself do it, over and over again. When I choose the pleasure of the moment I am being the fool. For a moment’s satisfaction I would trade a lifetime of consequences. I am thinking about gluttony here but it is just as true for anger, selfishness, pride or any other sin.  Lord, forgive me for my rampant foolishness. Teach me to walk in wisdom. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment