Saturday, September 22, 2012

Rescue the Weak

Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked. (Ps 82:4)

It’s easy to sit in the suburbs and think the urban poor just need to try harder and they can “make something of themselves”. But what if you don’t know how to try because no one ever showed you? Or what if you are convinced it is pointless to try because nothing you can do will change your situation? Some people can make it on their own, but most are too weak – weakened by their upbringing and the evil that surrounds them. They are preyed on by drug dealers, bullies and thieves, exploited by politicians and ignored by most of the rest of us. God commands us to rescue the weak and needy – to bring the light of hope through the gift of love, to lend a hand and to show the way. Truly they need Jesus, but Jesus will only come to them in the person of ordinary Christians like you and me who are willing to be obedient and get involved. God, forgive me for my selfishness and laziness. You have given us your commandments and your example. I want to do my part to rescue the weak and the fatherless and bind up the brokenhearted. Teach me to be “Jesus with skin on”. Use me to show your love and mercy to the world. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment