Monday, September 13, 2010

A Father Who Listens

When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise. (Pro 10:19)

I think there are several ways in which this is true, but one simple truth is the need to listen. This is the key to many relationships, but as a father I realize this is one principle I need to apply with my sons. I listen to them for a moment, diagnose what I see as their error, and then proceed to download a long set of instructions, information and opinions. I know I need to listen more and not be so quick to jump all over them to correct their “mistakes”. Lord, help me to hold my tongue!

1 comment:

  1. good truth! it is a great talent to be able to listen well first....and then speak. as Jesus says in Matthew 13: "But I tell you that every careless word that people speak , they shall give an accounting for it in the day of judgment. "For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned." ~ Matt 12:36-37

    our words most often reveal our true character!

    ReplyDelete