Saturday, September 18, 2010

True Friends

A man of many companions comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. (Pro 18:24)

Companions are people who are just along for the ride. There is no commitment. As soon as it’s not fun anymore they are gone. If these are the only kind of relationships we cultivate, when hard times come we are going to be in trouble. A true friend is committed. True friends love each other and will stand by each other in hard times. I must make it my business to cultivate true friendships with other men. In our society the male culture is a companion culture. This is not good. I must work to overcome the desire to stay safe and distant, uncommitted to those around me. The best way to make a friend is to be one. I must demonstrate my commitment. And the truest friend of all is Jesus. Lord Jesus, help me to be like you: to love others selflessly and to be faithful to them when hard times come.

No comments:

Post a Comment