Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Fighting the Wrong Battle

Jesus commanded Peter “Put your sword away! Shall I not drink the cup the Father has given me?” (Jn 18:11)

For Peter, the night that ended in betrayal began with a brave but foolhardy act. Taking a sword, he tried to defend Jesus from the crowd that came to arrest him. But Peter was fighting the wrong battle. This was the path Jesus had planned to walk from the beginning. It was the path for which he had prepared himself as he agonized in prayer that night. Jesus had come to do battle for the souls of men. Peter thought he had come to restore the kingdom of Israel. (Acts 1:6)

How often am I working against God’s plan because I misunderstand his purposes? Peter thought he needed to save Jesus, but he almost kept Jesus from saving Peter. When our children were little they always wanted to “help” us, which of course meant twice as big a mess and twice as long to clean up. Lord, do I make messes you have to clean up when I’m only trying to help? Give me the wisdom and understanding to see how you are working in each situation and be part of the solution and not part of the problem. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment