Sunday, January 23, 2011

Satisfaction Guaranteed

The sluggard craves and gets nothing, but the desires of the diligent are fully satisfied. (Pro 13:4)

I am basically lazy. I know some diligent people, and I’m not one of them! You can have the best plans and lots of good intentions, but if you don’t put your shoulder to the wheel you will accomplish nothing. So what does it mean to be diligent? Every time I have read this verse I always think of lazy and diligent as polar opposites. But as I reflect on it now, I think the true opposite of “lazy” is “driven.” I know some driven people, too, and I can tell you they are not “fully satisfied.” The lazy person does nothing because he thinks someone else ought to do it. But the driven person thinks he has to do everything himself. He has forgotten the providence of God. Yes, God has given me a calling and I must be diligent to do all he has called me to do. But it is God who provides all my needs. It is God, and him alone, who fully satisfies. Lord, make me diligent to hear your will and obey, to faithfully obey your commands. Then I will trust in you to satisfy all my needs. Only you can fully satisfy. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment