Sunday, January 16, 2011

Show Him You Love Him

The man who says, “I know him,” but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him. (1 Jn 2:4)

These are hard words. Whenever I read 1 John I always want to rush past this verse because I do not like to think about what it says. It is too convicting. Now I know that no one can truly live a sinless life in this fallen flesh of ours, so it is reasonable to assume that John is talking about whether our lives are characterized by obedience or not. But does that really make me feel any better? Is my life characterized by obedience? And not just my actions, but my words and my thoughts as well? John holds up a standard for loving God that reveals my love for him to be a weak and pitiful thing. I can take this two ways. I can shrink back in despair, knowing I will never lead a sinless life, or I can take up the challenge and rise with a new determination to demonstrate my love for God. I will rise up! Lord, I am committed to obeying you as best as I am able, because I love you. You have shown your love for me in your awesome sacrifice on Calvary. Can I not obey you, even in the little things, even in my thoughts and words, to show my love for you? Lord, remind me when I come to the crossroads of sin and obedience that only one choice will demonstrate the true nature of my love for you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment