Sunday, January 9, 2011

Our Advocate

My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense – Jesus Christ, the Righteous One. (1 Jn 2:1)

God hates sin. It is an offense to him. Sin demands punishment. How comforting then to know that when I sin I have an advocate with the Father! I imagine that when I sin Jesus says, “Father, I have paid the debt for this man’s sin. Do not hold it against him.” Now, it would not do to have just anyone for your advocate before the Father. Our advocate is Jesus Christ, the Righteous One, the Son of God who lived a perfect life and then died for our sins (v2). This is the only basis for his plea to the Father on my behalf. Certainly it is not for any merit of my own. I deserve justice but I receive mercy. How great is God’s love for us! (1 Jn 3:1) Thank you, Lord, for the great gift of your mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment