Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Nobles of Tekoa

The next section was repaired by the men of Tekoa, but their nobles would not put their shoulders to the work under their supervisors. (Neh 3:5)

Under the leadership of Nehemiah, the people of Jerusalem repaired the city wall, which had lain in ruins for over a hundred and fifty years. It was a huge undertaking, but they completed it in only 52 days. This entire chapter of Nehemiah is devoted to recording all the people who helped, and what section they rebuilt. Goldsmiths, perfume-makers, merchants and Levites – they all helped build the wall. Well, almost everyone. In the whole chapter, only one group refused to help: the “nobles” of Tekoa. How foolish they must have looked! Tekoa wasn’t much of a town and, at this time, Judah wasn’t much of a country, but the proud “nobles” of Tekoa held themselves aloof. Was it that they considered manual labor to be beneath them, or could they not stand to take orders from someone else? Meanwhile, the men of Tekoa, perhaps embarrassed by the leading citizens of their town, actually repaired two sections of the wall (v27), the only group to do so.

Are there menial tasks that I would be unwilling to do for the sake of God’s Kingdom? Would I empty a bedpan or dig a ditch? I suppose I would try to weasel out by spiritualizing it. “Oh, that’s not my gift.” But Lord, I don’t want to be like the nobles of Tekoa. I am willing to do whatever needs to be done for your Kingdom. Convict me when foolish pride, or sheer laziness, causes me to shrink back from the task you have set before me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment