Saturday, February 20, 2010

Boldly Proclaiming the Truth

Many of them said, "He is demon-possessed and raving mad. Why listen to him? (Jn 10:20)

Jesus always boldly proclaimed the truth even when those around him didn’t receive it. They said he was “demon-possessed and raving mad.” I censor my own speech so often because I am afraid of what people will think of me. I want them to think well of me – not scornfully or condescendingly as one who is weak (to depend on religion as a crutch) or naïve (hasn’t thought it through) or stupid (isn’t smart enough to understand). Jesus was willing to clearly speak truth even when he knew others would consider him mad. He counted the cost and pressed forward anyway, out of loving obedience to the Father. I choose my words carefully, wanting others to love me. Jesus chose his words carefully, wanting others to love the Father. Lord, forgive me for my selfishness.

No comments:

Post a Comment