Saturday, February 27, 2010

Take Heart!

I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. (Jn 16:33)

If ever there was anyone about whom it could be said, “In this world you will have trouble,” it would certainly be true of the disciples. Tradition tells us they were all martyred, except John who was exiled. By comparison, few among us will lead troubled lives. How much more can we then have confidence in Jesus’ statement, “But take heart! I have overcome the world.” I have often given in too easily to sadness and fear as I contemplate the future, especially when I begin to worry about those who are dear to me. But Jesus spoke as one who knows the future. Even more, he is sovereign in the future just as he is sovereign in the present. When Jesus tells us to take heart, it is in full knowledge that “we will have trouble” – but that will not be the end of the story. Is 46:10 says, “I make known the end from the beginning, from ancient times what is still to come. I say: My purpose will stand, and I will do all that I please.”

No comments:

Post a Comment