Sunday, February 14, 2010

Wisdom from the Heart

Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life. Put away perversity from your mouth; keep corrupt talk far from your lips. Let your eyes look straight ahead, fix your gaze directly before you. (Pr 4:23-25)

After a whole chapter that speaks of wisdom helping us prosper and generally seeming to focus on an external “life choices” kind of wisdom, we finally come to v24, “Above all else guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life.” And even more, v25, “Put away perversity from your mouth…” and v26, “let your eyes look straight ahead…” We see now that the core of wisdom, “above all else,” is a matter of the heart. It is what I choose to hold in my heart – what I love, what I think about, what I choose to speak about – that matters most. From these, the good life decisions will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment