Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Father's Delight

So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. (Lk 11:9-10)

This is such as simple and marvelous promise; no wonder it has been a favorite through all generations. Yet my cynical mind immediately begins to think of exceptions, conditions and limitations, so that it is robbed of its impact. It is as though I am afraid to get my hopes up. Yet this morning I decided to let the simple thrill of this verse wash over me. Do we really have a Father who loves us this much? Yes we do. He will not answer us reluctantly, like the friend in the parable who had already gone to bed (v7). No, our heavenly Father delights to give us good things, if only we will ask. Lord, I know that you desire to give us good things. When we ask for a fish you will not give us a snake (v11). When we ask for a snake, you will not give us one either. You desire to bless us! Help me to grasp that truth at the deepest level of my being.

No comments:

Post a Comment