Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Perfect Obedience

“Abba, Father,” he said, “everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will.” (Mk 14:36)

It is astonishing to me that Jesus himself, second person of the Trinity, would pray such a prayer! If he can pray that way, surely we can as well. He clearly dreaded the agony he was about to endure and longed to not have to go through it. He tells the Father, “Everything is possible with you,” just as I would if I were in his shoes. Yet for all the dread and all the longing, his heart was perfectly submissive to the Father’s will. Lord, may I be so candid and honest in my prayers, and at the same time so perfectly obedient. Jesus was tempted in every way just as we are – yet without sin. (Heb 4:15) Thank you, Lord, for such a wonderful example you gave us.

No comments:

Post a Comment