Saturday, June 19, 2010

Patchwork Christians

No one tears a patch from a new garment and sews it on an old one. If he does, he will have torn the new garment, and the patch from the new will not match the old. (Lk 5:36)

All too often, we want to take a little bit of the new life in Christ and graft it onto our old life in the flesh. We don’t really want to give up our old, comfortable ways. So we just add a little God stuff to what we’re already doing. But the two can never mesh – they are like night and day. Think of how much we give up of our new life in Christ when we do that! We get a tiny little, ill-fitting patch that only serves to remind us of the abundant life we are missing out on! God, I want all of what you have for me. I know I’ll never have it as long as I cling to my old, selfish and sinful ways. Show me how to cast aside the worn out tatters of my old life and truly begin to live as the new creation you made me to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment