Sunday, August 22, 2010

One True God

I am the Lord and there is no other; apart from me there is no God. (Is 45:5a)

This whole section of Isaiah (chapters 44-46) is such a marvelous declaration of God’s sovereignty and power. In chapter 44 he is mocking idols of wood and metal. In 44:24 he proclaims himself creator: “This is what the Lord says – your Redeemer, who formed you in the womb: I am the Lord, who has made all things, who alone stretched out the heavens.” And again in 45:7, “I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster; I the Lord do all these things.” In all these passages we clearly see the main outlines of theism – God is a person who speaks and acts. He is immaterial; he is all powerful; he is the creator of all things; he is sovereign over his creation (45:9); he knows the future (46:10). We also see his love and concern for us in his desire to save us. He is our Redeemer and savior. (45:8) Praise him!

No comments:

Post a Comment