Wednesday, August 18, 2010

True Masculinity

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love. (I Cor 16:13-14)

Many Christians today believe that the contemporary American church has feminized the Gospel. And it does seem like you are more likely to hear “Do everything in love” at church than “Be men of courage.” But there is really no conflict between these two. We have to remember what true Biblical love means. True love is acting in the best interest of others. True masculinity is not to be equated with selfishness or rashness but with strength and self-sacrifice. It is nevertheless true that I can’t recall every hearing verse 13 quoted in church. And, personally, I don’t think of myself as being particularly firm, courageous and strong. I've never been one of the guys who sit around talking about sports, hunting and physical abilities. It is easy to think of myself as less of a man because I am not physically robust and have different interests. But I don’t think Paul was speaking of physical strength, necessarily. I can be a man of faith, courage and strength of character. This is the kind of masculinity we most need and which is most lacking. I am no less a man for my lack of athletic skills. To be a real man, a godly man, I must cultivate an inner strength, the kind that comes only from God. Holy Spirit, mold me and shape me to walk in faith with courage and integrity, as a true man of God. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment