Sunday, August 8, 2010

Send Me!

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?” And I said, “Here am I. Send me!” (Is 6:8)

This great verse inspires us to respond to God’s calling with willing hearts. Isaiah’s first thought upon seeing God on his throne was of how tiny and worthless and sinful he felt in comparison. Yet such was the wonder and attraction of God’s great majesty, power and beauty that when the call came Isaiah was moved to respond. The great picture of this awesome God, the booming voices of the seraphim and Isaiah’s tiny voice in response is stirring, almost comic. Yet this all powerful God loved Isaiah and wanted him to be part of his plan of redemption. Though we have never had such a vision we, too, are called to be part of God’s plan of redemption. The wonder of that scene in the throne room is made even greater by the contrast between God Almighty and the servant whom he loved. In the same way I must not shirk the call because I think myself too weak or too flawed for service. It is both God’s calling and his power to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment