Saturday, August 14, 2010

Prize Fight

No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize. (I Cor 9:27)

In this life our flesh is still unredeemed, and we have a fight on our hands if we want to live for God. The Holy Spirit empowers us to win that battle. The book of Romans shows us how. “You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you.” (Rom 8:9) Jesus Christ has (past tense) set me free from this body of death. (Rom 7:24-25) “For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law but under grace.” (Rom 6:14) I think Romans 6:13 contains the key: “Do not offer the parts of your body to sin…but rather offer yourselves to God.” The key really is to cultivate a closer walk with God through the spiritual disciplines of prayer and the Word, and by forming the habit of mind to turn to him continuously throughout the day. Then when temptation comes we are to instantly turn to him for deliverance. The more I cultivate a heart that is rich toward God the more likely I am to turn to him when I am tempted. It is not simply that I must have strong willpower within myself, but that I must be in communion with God when the temptation comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment