Thursday, April 15, 2010

Let's Make A Deal

Then Jacob made a vow saying, “If God will be with me and watch over me…then the Lord will be my God…and of all you give me I will give you a tenth.” (Gen 28:20-22)

Clearly Jacob has a ways to go in his understanding and his spiritual maturity. No wonder he had long years of hardship and discontentment ahead of him. It almost made me laugh to read this. Jacob is so obviously bargaining with God and his commitment is so limited and conditional. But I wonder, is my devotion really so complete and unconditional? Intellectually I assent to it, but what am I doing in practice? Are there things in my life I’m not willing to give up? Am I prone to reconsider my commitment to his plan if I don’t like the way things are going? My faith is weak. I always have a plan B. I love that image in the second Indiana Jones movie of the crystal bridge they must step out onto in faith. I want to believe so strongly and be so committed that I would risk everything on absolute obedience to God. Lord, please make me that kind of believer. Holy Spirit, take control of me in that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment