Wednesday, April 21, 2010

No Prosperity Needed

O Lord, by your hand save me from such men, from men of this world whose reward is in this life. You still the hunger of those you cherish; their sons have plenty, and they store up wealth for their children. (Ps 17:14)

If any verse is an antidote to the “prosperity gospel” this would be it. What I hear in this verse is that however much or how little I have, it is enough for those who love God. Sometimes the righteous may not even have enough to eat! And yet God stills their hunger. Literally? I don’t know. But he makes us to see that he is our sufficiency. God forgive me for gluttony and the lust for things. I know my “treasures [are] in heaven, where moth and rust do not consume, and thieves do not break in and steal.” (Mt 6:20) What security and what peace I would have if I could only grasp this. Teach me, Lord, to know that what I have is enough, and that you will “meet all [my] needs according to your glorious riches in Christ Jesus.” (Ph 4:19)

No comments:

Post a Comment