Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Audience of One

Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe. (Pro 29:25)

In my comfortable, safe life I do not fear physical injury from others. My fears are all about embarrassment, rejection and scorn. But in these things, too, whoever trusts in the Lord is kept safe. Certainly I want the good opinion of others. More specifically, I want to deserve the good opinion of others by being the godly man I have been called to be. As long as I have been obedient to that calling I need not fear any hostility and rejection I may encounter, because my reward is the approval of my Master. In that sense I play to an audience of one. Whatever men might say or do, my self worth is based on God’s love for me, which I did nothing to earn and can do nothing to diminish. My trust in God is sure, because God is constant and steadfast. I can trust him never to reject me or condemn me. Jesus suffered the Father's rejection and wrath for my sake. There remains only love. Discipline, to be sure, but always love.

No comments:

Post a Comment