Saturday, October 16, 2010

Blinded by Pride

For in his own eyes he flatters himself too much to detect or hate his sin. (Ps 36:2)

How many of us know someone like that? Someone whose pride blinds them to their own flaws? C.S. Lewis said of pride that there is no sin we dislike more in others, or are less conscious of in ourselves. And that’s the problem – how often are we ourselves guilty of pride but don’t see it? It takes the conviction of the Holy Spirit to confront our own pride. 

Some of us have the opposite problem. We are forever comparing ourselves unfavorably to others. We need to remember that we are precious in God’s sight, and that we are “fearfully and wonderfully made” (Ps 139:14). I think I am guilty of both. I am given both to preening pride at times when I have done well at something and harsh self-criticism when I fail. In every case I need to remember Paul’s injunction to think of myself with sober judgment (Rom 12:3). I am a child of God, and precious in his sight. Every gift I have is from him. Every success is to his glory. And when I fail, he still loves me as his own.

No comments:

Post a Comment