Monday, October 11, 2010

Following the Shepherd

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. (Ps 23:1-2 KJV)

Most of the time I regard being compared to a sheep as an unflattering analogy. What makes this different? If God is my Shepherd, then I am his sheep, and I should be ok with that. In human affairs I would bristle at being called a sheep because it would suggest that I am docile and dumb. My pride would be wounded. I want to believe that I am every bit as smart and qualified to lead as the other guy. But that’s where God is different. Let me be under no illusions about how my intelligence and leadership stack up against his. It is folly for me to think I will be better off to ignore his leadership and chart my own course. My Shepherd is all-knowing and all-powerful. He is perfect in wisdom and love. I can follow him without question and know that he will never fail me. Lord, thank you for leading me. Teach me to follow you without question.

No comments:

Post a Comment