Friday, October 1, 2010

Reflecting Jesus

You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. (Mt 5:14)

In Jn 8:12 Jesus says, “I am the light of the world” – one of the seven great “I am” statements of the Gospel of John. How astonishing then that in Matthew 5 he told his followers, “You are the light of the world.” Clearly, we are to shine by reflecting his light, for “God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.” (I Jn 1:5)

What does it mean for me to be the light of the world? If those around me are going to see Jesus, they will see his life reflected in mine. If those around me are going to hear the Gospel, they will hear it from my lips. I have an awesome responsibility to speak Truth and live by its light, so that those around me will experience the love of Jesus through me. Darkness cannot reign in my little corner of the world if I set my lamp on a lampstand, proclaiming and living by God’s Truth. Lord, help me be bold, and be true to my calling, so that those around me will see my life and my words as a beacon of hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment