Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Great Motivator

His master replied, “Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness.” (Mt 25:21)

That famous phrase, “Well done, good and faithful servant” is a great motivator for many of the finest Christians I know. It motivates me, too. I hope I live every day in light of that Great Day when we will stand before our Heavenly Father. How I long to hear those words!

Non-Christians so often assume that we are motivated to do good works to avoid being sent to Hell. But of course that’s not it at all. Salvation is a free gift. My eternal destiny is already determined. No, we are motivated by our love for God – compelled by it, as Paul said (2 Cor 5:14). What greater reward can I have but to know that I have pleased God? I was created for that purpose, and every fiber of my being senses whenever I am living according to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment