Tuesday, October 26, 2010

No Easy Life

This man is my chosen instrument to carry my name before the Gentiles and their kings and before the people of Israel. I will show him how much he must suffer for my name. (Acts 9:15-16)

With these words the Lord Jesus commands Ananias in a vision to go to the newly converted Saul in Damascus. God saved Saul miraculously, appearing to him in a vision on the Damascus road. In the Lord’s words to Ananias, it is clear that before Paul had done a single thing in God’s service God had chosen him for greatness. And indeed, no man ever accomplished so much or suffered so greatly for the Gospel as Paul. Like Peter and John, Paul counted it a great privilege to suffer for Jesus. Once again I am confronted with the connection between suffering and serving God. If I insist on an easy life I will accomplish little. Can I follow the example of the apostles? Lord, I am willing to lay everything down for you. I know I can’t possibly do that in my own strength. Holy Spirit, accomplish in me what I cannot do in myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment