Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Worthy of Suffering

The apostles left the Sanhedrin, rejoicing because they had been counted worthy of suffering disgrace for the Name. (Acts 5:41)

I wonder how many of us have fully captured this attitude which the apostles had? Of course, it was a pretty extraordinary time. What had their previous 48 hours looked like? Miracles (v16), jail (v18), miracles (v19), flogging (v40). I see a pattern here. What comes next? Miracles, of course!

But what were they rejoicing about as they left the Sanhedrin? Not the miracles, but the flogging! And not the flogging per se, but rather the fact that they had been counted worthy of suffering disgrace for Jesus Christ. They regarded it as a high honor. If I really love Jesus and I am really anxious to see his Truth known and his Name magnified, then being persecuted is a sign I am doing something right. My witness must be having an impact if the enemies of God feel threatened enough to retaliate. And now, the fact that I suffer so little persecution becomes an embarrassment for me. My first instinct is to play it safe, and in so doing I limit the impact I can have for the Gospel. Lord, make me bold!

No comments:

Post a Comment