Saturday, October 30, 2010

Don't Be a Beast

When my heart was grieved and my spirit embittered, I was senseless and ignorant; I was a brute beast before you. Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. (Ps 73:21-23)

Sin causes me to break fellowship with God. Harboring a bad attitude interrupts my communion with him. Yet he is always present. I am always in the palm of his hand. This verse paints an interesting image. When I have let sin interfere in my relationship with God, it is as though spiritually I have become blind, deaf and dumb before God. I am still in his presence, but like a brute beast I can neither communicate with him nor even recognize his presence. God is still present. I am still saved. I am still a child of God. The basic facts of my relationship with him haven’t changed. But I have begun to act and think like it has.

When I find myself in that situation I need to wake up! Confess, repent, and remember who I am in Christ. Why should I be so foolish as to break fellowship with the living God?

Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. (Ps 73:25-26)

No comments:

Post a Comment