Monday, December 20, 2010

All Work and No Play

Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint. (Pro 23:4)

Most of us have to work hard for a living, and there’s nothing wrong with that. But there comes a time for some of us where we cross a line. Work itself becomes our main object - or the money we make from it - and it begins to crowd out every other good thing. We wind up sacrificing the health of our families, out spiritual lives and our own bodies on the altar of worldly success. I remember the first time I really began to understand that. It was 1986 and our entire extended family had made plans to spend Saturday at a special Texas Sesquicentennial Celebration (the 150th anniversary of Texas Independence). I was facing a project deadline and I decided at the last minute that I needed to work all day Saturday instead. My wife was very disappointed by my decision. She went on with the rest of the family and had a great time. But one thing she said stuck with me. “A year from now, you won’t even remember what you were working on today.” And you know what? She was right! But I sure could remember the fact that I missed a fun and memorable experience with my family.

The proverb says, “Have the wisdom to show restraint.” A wise man doesn’t make his job his idol.

No comments:

Post a Comment