Friday, December 10, 2010

Knowing God's Will

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is – his good, pleasing and perfect will. (Rom 12:2)

I frequently wonder what God’s will is in various situations. I marvel at the clarity that some of my friends seem to have at discerning his will. This verse is telling me that the secret to knowing – and doing – his will is to be transformed by the renewing of my mind. The world has certain patterns of thought, and they are far from the heart and mind of God. (Is 55:8) If instead I would have the mind of Christ (I Cor 2:16) I must steep myself in his Word and meditate on his truth. The renewal of a mind is not a simple or a quick process. It takes the persistent pursuit of truth and the consistent application of it, to be conformed to his pattern rather than the world’s. Lord, I give you my thoughts; let them become your thoughts. I give you my mind; fill it with your truth. Teach me your ways, that I would walk in them. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment